Sunday, September 11, 2011

Goodbye My Borders

The time has come to say goodbye. Many have said their goodbye’s already, but I have not. During its last couple of weeks, walking though the store, I see the emptiness slowly engulfing the area. I mean there are customers walking about and employees stocking up the shelves. However, seeing some of the space being closed off, including the bathroom, with empty shelves, it says something different. Makes me wonder if this is a sign of the industry, not just manga, but also physical bookstores or even the printing industry.

Once I purchase my hardcopy, I can open and read the book whenever I want simply by picking it up from my table. I like holding my book and just having it in my hand. It makes the feel of the book different. Plus, I can keep it for as long as I want until I decide to dispose of it. I like being able to go to a bookstore and browse through the shelves. I want my physical books, so I will wait and see and hope for the best.
© 2011 Linda Thai

Check out the links below about Borders:


Press Release -
Borders Group to Submit Hilco and Gordon Brothers Proposal to Court for Approval


Final Week - Stores Closing Soon

UPDATE 4-Borders, unable to find white knight, to liquidate by Nick Brown, Reuters, Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25pm EDT

Borders to shut down for good after deal collapses by Greta Guest, Detroit Free Press, Jul. 19, 2011

Bye Bye Borders Auction Cancelled, Sale to Liquidators Inevitable by ICv2, Published: 07/18/2011, Last Updated: 07/19/2011 02:39am

Books Without Borders by Ian Crouch, The New Yorker, July 19, 2011

5 Reasons Borders Went Out of Business (and What Will Take Its Place) by Josh Sanburn, Time, July 19, 2011

Borders Forced to Liquidate, Close All Stores by Mike Spector And Jeffrey A. Trachtenberg, The Wall Street Journal, July 19, 2011

Borders bookstore chain will likely shut its doors, file Chapter 11 if bidder doesn't snap up stores by Robert Dominguez, New York Daily News, Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 4:00 AM

Borders demise seen a small help to Barnes & Noble by Phil Wahba, Reuters, Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24am EDT

Borders perks: It's time to use 'em or lose 'em
Gift cards, store credits could become worthless quickly in liquidation process
by Jessica Mintz, msnbc.com contributor, updated 7/19/2011 2:14:38 PM ET

Correction: Borders-Bankruptcy story by the Associated Press, Jul 19, 3:38 PM EDT

Customers mourn the loss of Borders at flagship Ann Arbor store by Greta Guest, Detroit Free Press, Jul. 19, 2011 5:20 PM

Lamenting Borders' Death at 'Store No. 1' by Matthew Dolan, The Wall Street Journal, July 19, 2011, 5:52 P.M. ET

Borders’ regulars dread bookstore’s final chapter by Denise Linke, The Beacon-News, July 19, 2011 6:06PM

Borders Faces Objections From Creditors, Kobo to Liquidation by Tiffany Kary, Bloomberg, Jul 19, 2011 8:36 PM ET

TOYKOPOP's response to a question about paying back distributors

1 comment:

Stefanie R. Maclin-Hurd said...

I hate to say it, but this is definitely a comment on the book and publishing industry.

Physical books, or not. Way we're headed? It is more electronic, more digital. It's depressing, certainly, but it's happening.