Sunday, May 2, 2010

Giant Robots and Old School Anime Hair Cuts

Article by Chet Royer

Hey! Listen! ...sorry... Well Ninja101 here to give you my review on Mobile Suit Gundam UniCorn. I must say that I really enjoyed this OVA(original video animation). After watching the OVA, I said out loud “Gundam has not been this good in a long time.” From watching many new Gundam series that have been set in their own universe, it’s like a breath of fresh air seeing that UniCorn returns to the Universal Century, which is where the original Gundam series took place. Also in returning to this Universe, it seems that the designers of UniCorn decided to give the characters that old school anime look. The protagonist is equipped with what I like to call hero side burns. Girls have that large hair volume that is almost equivalent to an afro. OK enough of my nerding out, on with the review.

I bought the blu-ray version of the OVA, and I have watched it in both languages available. I thought the English voice overs are well done. I have heard many people talk about how the English voice over does not transfer over the strength of some lines that were said in Japanese. That may be true, but I do not believe a few lines can make the whole voice over trash.

Watching it in blu-ray was a nice treat. Everything looked sharp and crisp. The animation quality shines on blu-ray. It also helps that the animation on its own is great. The mobile suits are well designed and the characters look interesting and likable.

I do not want to say too much about the story. I will just say that it drew me in. I must warn some of the Gundam fans, that enjoy a good mobile suit smack down, that UniCorn is not all about fighting. The politics and drama take center stage in this one. They give you bits and pieces of information that makes you want more. However, when you get to see mobile suits in action, you will not be let down.

So just to summarize, Gundam fans in general would probably enjoy this OVA. Gundam fans who enjoy watching Gundams duke it out may not appreciate it too much. A person who is not into Gundam at all might actually enjoy this movie. I hope everyone will enjoy the OVA as much as I did. Also this OVA is part one of six! So there will be more politics, drama and Gundam bashing ahead.
© 2010 Linda Thai

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hm.. really like this review and as a fan of gundam myself, i think i'll go check it out when i get the time