Monday, October 29, 2018

Media Report: New York Comic Con 2018 Day 1

So this is what happens when you arrive after 9am. (^_^); Oops. I wasn't in the first row of morning attendees; more like third. Just from observation of WHERE the first line is, it seems that REEDPop had to get creative with space usage. Last year, it was just a big room with four walls. This year, the line up was overlapping the Autograph area. Those numbers are autograph line placement. This was fine, because celebrities wasn't there before opening hour. :D

Instead of free bags, I got other goodies this year.


This must be the first ever fan lounge, specifically called the SYFY Fan Lounge. I don't ever remember such a dedicated area (this is not the Quiet Room). It was so convenient to have it there. It was another place to view the convention scenery and just rest. Plus, there were two charging and two make up stations for attendees. It was a first for everything.

While sitting and eating my lunch, I peek over the ledge to see what's below. Now I know because it's where I always get food and struggle to find a seat! Come to think of it, I never really looked up from that bottom floor.

I was never good at crane games, but when I realized the prize was a plush of Happy!, which is an imaginary friend from the Syfy show of the same name, I had to try! It was free to play so I kept going to the back of the line until I was able to get one. Got one after the 6th time. 😊

Funkos...I swear I never stopped seeing them. The desire for many fans is real and security was tight! I even saw some ridiculous prices, but if you really want it...Yes, some fans will probably pay for it.

I remember hearing about the Official Sailor Moon pop shops happening in Asia and Anime Expo. I was hoping that it'll be at NYCC. Luckily, it was, but the prices were pretty high for me and many of the items were not desirable. It didn't help that the character they featured on most of their items was Sailor Moon herself. Since I always wanted something that was exclusive to the store, I brought office supply clips that I could use over and over again. Plus, I got a free tote bag and canvus board art piece. I guess that's my compensation for the pricing. 😜

Well, this is a first. I think it's the first time for me to see this sign. At least it's a good reminder to find space on the sides.


New location for the Artist Alley, because North Pavilion still closed. New signs too. I think there's more artists this year than last year and the lighting is WAY better. Last year was really dim!

I saw this car, got confused and realized it was two Nightmare Before Christmas characters sitting inside. LOL

My end result of my Thursday hunt. Two full bags of things and, I have to say, my experience at NYCC, there was A LOT of polite mannerism on both my part and other attendees. Obviously, I had to try to make sure I didn't smack anyone with my bags, but a lot of people knew to say “excuse me” when passing each other and “sorry” when you unintentional bump into people. Kinda makes me wonder if it's more polite inside the con than out. ;-)

© 2018 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: