Thursday, February 18, 2010

Getting to Know: Mary Moos and the Lolita Fashion Part 2

Please read Part 1 of the interview before reading Part 2

Left to Right: Friend Kammie and Mary Moos in her Burgerlita Jumperskirt

Lolita Fashion

When I say “lolita,” what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Some might think of the 1955 book by Vladimir Nabokov, while others, such as myself, may have randomly heard of the word but never paid much attention to it. If one is aware of New York current events, you might have heard of the phrase “Long Island Lolita” in reference to an individual involved in a murder case. Maybe, if one loves fashion from different countries, one may have come across the term in reference to a Japanese fashion call “lolita”, which has many branches of styles and influences.

Since Moos has been part of the lolita fashion world for quite some time, I was curious to know what were her first thoughts when hearing the word “lolita.” According to Moos, “hilariously enough I still think of the poster of the Kubrick adaptation of Nabokov's lolita, with the young girl wearing the heart-shaped glasses. I think heart shaped glasses would actually be really cute with lolita.” Even though the first thing that comes to mind was not the fashion, Moos continues to enjoy and appreciate the lolita style. “It's been amazing, I think! It's led me to have really great, incredible experiences and meet people I'd probably never have a chance to without the fashion.”

Since Moos has been intrigued by the fashion for some time now and quite knowledgeable, I was wondering if she has a favorite outfit from the many she has acquired. The decision was quite difficult for Moos, but she was able to give me her top three favorites, which are the Baby the Stars Shine Bright Sleeping Beauty Jumperskirt, her Burgerlita dress made by her friend Erin and the tea and cake dress made by her friend Tyler. Each of these dresses has a special bond with Moos. However, one dress stands out as a representation of Mary Moos. According to Moos, the “signature” outfit is her Burgerlita dress. “The idea of matching something as elegant, frilly and feminine as lolita with something as messy and random as a burger is a really funny idea to me and I think it's pretty representative of my whole relationship with lolita. I'm an over-the-top, always-joking slob trying to beautify and feminize myself to fit in with the lolita ideal and burgerlita is the culmination of that idea.”
© 2010 Linda Thai

Thank you Mary Moos for the photograph! Stay tune for Part 3 of the Mary Moos interview!

No comments: