Friday, October 16, 2015

Impressions of Liberty City Anime Con 2015


I’m not even sure how I heard about Liberty City Anime Con, probably through word of mouth from friends. I only went one day because I didn’t want to take off from work. Plus, being that this is the first Liberty City Anime Con, I figure it’d be small in size; small dealers room, artist alley, etc. I have to say I was impressed by certain things while there were others that needed improvement.

Let’s start with the first thing I encountered about the con: their website. I did a quick run through of the site and focused on certain aspects of what I’m generally interest in. They had a small dealers and artist alley, which was what I expected. They had some guests from FUNimation and the longtime NYC idol Reni Reni. I was impressed with this because it is not easy, especially finance wise, to acquire guests with professional creditable background and who have developed a long standing reputation in the industry. The schedule looked packed, so there were plenty of things for attendees to do. I had no interest in any. Overall, I believe they covered most of the basic essentials that a site would need to have for fans to stay informed such as ticket rates and rules of the con.


Once I gained some interest, I checked out their Twitter. I believed this was where much improvement was needed. I was disappointed in the lack of tweets: they had 12 tweets since July 22, 2012, some of which were retweets. There were barely any updates about what’s happening at the con. Honestly, when I saw this, I thought the con was dead. I know it takes time to tweet for PR reasons (yes, it can take more than a minute) and you would probably need a dedicated person who has good and free wi-fi or data connection throughout the con. However, Twitter is a marketing tool and it’s free. They can make use of it by tweeting progress, like what activities the staff are doing (without giving away too much) or each new guest additions. They can do cross promotions with their vendors and artists. Since it’s a small size event, they can live tweet during the con and promote the panels and activities that are happening. In this way, it’ll show that the convention is active before and during the convention. Also, they should create an official hashtag so the tweets can be grouped together and people can follow everyone that’s tweeting about the con.


I checked out their Facebook after someone told me that they posted up photos. The page seems much more active.


Stay tune for Part 2 of my review!

© 2015 Linda Thai

Photography by Linda Thai

For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: