Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Meeting Kawashima Ai

Setting up my laptop and trying to get into my comfort zone, a young girl walked into the recording room. She was wearing a white graphic stylish t-shirt, beige cargo shorts, black leggings and black formal flats. She looked at me with a smile and said “hi.” Yes, it was the Kawashima Ai greeting me. If I did not know who she was, I would have thought she was just a regular average girl.

Of course, I said hi back, but I was fearful of the language barrier. I cannot speak Japanese. However, that did not stop me from interviewing her. I have a wonderful friend name Megumi Sato, who was kind enough to help me out and provided me this rare opportunity. She was my translator and pod caster for the interview.

This interview was a first of many things. It was the first time I worked with Megumi. It was my first podcast. It was the first time being in a professional recording studio. It was the first time I met and interview Kawashima Ai. She was my first Japanese Pop celebrity interviewee.

Now, I cannot tell you everything in the podcast, cause I want you to go check it out. It was roughly thirty minutes and all about the professional life of Kawashima Ai from an educational prospective. I got the insight about her work life, such as her philosophy behind the song Compass for One Piece: The Desert Princess and The Pirates, what she would have pursue if she did not become a singer and her work and thinking process. Even though I learned much from Kawashima Ai, one important thing that I gathered from this interview is that work is still work and you have to love what you do in order to succeed.

After the interview, Kawashima Ai and I exchanged a few words. We both knew we had a language barrier, but that did not stop us from trying to speak. Yes, I got her autograph. Then she and her manager spoke to Megumi for a bit, and I waited around for Megumi. It was time for Kawashima Ai to leave, but before she left, she came back wearing a light pink jacket. Kawashima Ai approached me with a smile, waved and said “See you at Japan Day.”

I was surprised that she came back to say goodbye to me, cause I thought she had to rush out and leave. However, that simple gesture said a lot about her. She was polite and treated me with respect. Her fame and celebrity status never faze her. She is down to earth.

Thank you Kawashima Ai, her management and Megumi Sato from Samurai Beat Radio for all your help. This is an experience I will not forget. I am grateful.
© 2010 Linda Thai

To learn more about Kawashima Ai, check out the links below



No comments: