Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Running Around During Free Comic Book Day

On May 1, 2010, it was around 88 degrees in New York City. Out of all days to come outside and run around Manhattan, right? My hunt for comics felt like a citywide convention. I had to strategically figure out which comic bookstores to check out, while making the runs convenient and efficient. My motivation was to get the enjoyable and ever adorable Owly comic. (^_^)

My first stop was Midtown Comics near Times Square at 1pm. I asked the person at the counter where are the Free Comic Book Day comics and only two were left. I was not too disappointed, because I knew there was a possibility of that happening, specifically at this location. On another note, there was a professional looking camera man there and that is how you know this event is a big deal. ;-)

My next stop was Jim Hanley’s Universe near 34th street Herald Square. A while back, at my first and last Free Comic Book Day, this store was the first place I went to. I was able to get the comics, because it had a maximum number of comics each customer may ask for. As a result, at this year’s event, I had high expectations of getting my desired comics. Guess what? The store did not disappoint me, and I was able to obtain Owly along with four other comics, such as The Simpsons and Penguins of Madagascar.
The third store was Forbidden Planet near Union Square. I heard that there will be other comics given out that were not officially part of the event, and I decided to see what it was. The comics were located outside the entrance on a table with two employees handing them out, and I received a black shopping bag with four comics. I even met the artist, Steve Mannion, who was doing a signing inside the store. Check out his artwork!
Lastly, I went to St Mark’s Comics near Astor Place. It is sort of underneath a building, so it is easy to miss it. However, do not fear! There is usually a black and white checker sign with the store name on it. Being a small store, the spacing was limited, but there was some breathing space. I was able to walk to the back room and received a kid’s comic book and a Wonder Woman pin.

My run around concluded at 3pm. Yes, four comic stores in two hours and I still got what I wanted. I hope everyone had a fun Free Comic Book Day! See you next time!

For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

Thank you for checking out my photographs!
© 2010 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai


Check out the links below for more info:
Free Comic Book Day is SATURDAY, MAY 1! by Jim Hanley's Universe, April 28, 2010
Coming Saturday May 1st, 2010: Free Comic Book Day! BY Jeff Ayers, Forbidden Planet's Daily Planet, APR 26, 2010

No comments: