Wednesday, April 14, 2010

To Bayonetta or Not To Bayonetta

Article by Chet Royer

Monsters, sexy witches, guns and fast paced action. That is what awaits you in Bayonetta. This is Chet again, and this a review on the Bayonetta demo that I played at NYAF 2009. I am aware that Bayonetta has been out for some time now. However, if you are interested in this game and have not purchased it yet, this may be just the push you need to make a decision.

I do not know much about the story but honestly speaking, you are not playing this game for a compelling story. You play this game for the action and challenges. The game is basically as fun as you, the player, can make it. You have punches, kicks and gun combos to deal damage to your foes. You get scores and rewards for playing fancy. You can also conjure up special attacks and gigantic demons. The special attacks are some times only active when you are prompted to do them. The games controls make it nice and easy for you to do these combos and special moves. The lock on feature gave me a little trouble at first, but it became easier as the game progressed. There is also another ability known as Witch Time. You can dodge in the game, but if you dodge at the last second, Witch Time is activated. Everything moves in slow motion during Witch Time. Except for you. So you are free to slaughter your enemies in their slowed state.

All of this fast paced magical action is done in style. The design of the game is gorgeous. The monsters are very creative looking and are very interesting to behold. The settings are very lush and alive. Bayonetta, the protagonist, benefits the most from the design team. Her many motions, whether it be during combat or just walking around, are done so well. It makes you feel like you are controlling an actual character with a personality and it makes it much more fun to play. There is also the fact that Bayonetta's special attacks and the demons she conjures up are made up of her hair. Might I add that her clothing is also made from her hair. So when she uses an attack or a demon, some of her clothing vanishes. Sex sells huh?

My main problem with this game is that I feel that it can become boring quickly. Even while I was playing the demo, I felt like I was just mashing away at demons. The only time I felt like I was concentrating was at the end of demo during the boss fight. If that is how the whole game is going to be, I rather not play it. I rather be challenged consistently.

My final thoughts on this game, even though it sounds fun and all, I rather not buy this game. Probably a rent. Since the game does not have a really compelling story and is running off of fast paced action and sexy girls, it does not seem like a game worth having if you have to spend 50 plus dollars. I can see that there would be many challenges and rewards in the game to keep players playing, but that isn't really enough for me. But if you are looking for some fast paced fun and a game that you can pick up and have immediate fun, Bayonetta is for you!
© 2010 Linda Thai

No comments: