Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pre-NYCC/NYAF 2011 with Karl Custer/Uncle Yo

Hello readers! Here is another interview with funny man, Karl Custer, aka Uncle Yo. He will be at the convention selling his new CD and will be participating in some new activities that are different from last year’s. Plus, he’ll be performing with Mario Bueno, the cosplay singer. Check out the interview to find out what else Custer has to offer at the convention!

~~~

So fans know when to come see you, what will your general schedule be at the convention?

Generally NYCC is very busy with side projects to promote before, during and even after the convention. In general I try to distribute my CD's and DVD's to friends in the artist alley or the dealer's room and check up over the weekend. Friday this year is very important to me because we will be presenting a staged-reading of an original script this year. Saturday is my duo-show with cosplay vocalist Mario Bueno, and the masquerade. This year my hosting duties have tripled as I will also be participating in judging and hosting the daily costume competitions, a new event for this year's Comic Con. So, as I tell out-of-town friends, drop by my table and leave me a message, and if I can find you, I'll find you. I really try not to promise anybody, even close friends, that I can grab a coffee or leave the convention to grab dinner. I am on the floor gallivanting like an ant lost from its colony from open to close.

Will you be selling any merchandise or promoting something at the convention? If yes, can you tell me about it?

The big news is that we finally have a physical copy of my newest CD, "Matching Hair Clips." The artwork is spectacular, and a portion of the profits will go toward the Red Cross' efforts to assist in rebuilding Japan. Other than that, I will probably end up pitching my newly released "Anime Convention Survival Guide" at Amazon's Kindle program. Every year I keep being asked to print T-shirts, and every year I settle on buttons, because T-shirts are heavy and unwieldy on the subway.

You have been doing comedy performances for the New York Anime Festival. If you are performing again,
a. Who will be performing with you and what will he/she be doing?


This year we're trying to merge my stand-up with cosplay vocalist Mario Bueno. We've had great synergy ever since the first NYAF, where I MC'ed and his Code Geass skit in the masquerade took home best in show. Mario is a singer, winner of Anime Expo's Anime Idol in 2010, as well as the producer of my comedy DVD and, if that isn't enough, he will be starring in the staged reading on Friday morning for Road Trippin'. It's been a remarkable journey of time management, but I have very high hopes for all of his performances.

b. What will make this year’s comedy performance different from last year?

Ever since my first NYAF show at the first NYAF, I have always tried to do something new that made me uncomfortable onstage, whether it's been experimenting with new material, trying a new song, using new props, or testing out a new cosplay/monologue. Fans will probably tell you that while topically similar, most of my shows have the same pacing. This year I'm going to try, rather than talking about specific anime or video games and ignoring part of my audience, I'd like to talk about life in New York City with geeky references. You'd be surprised how many people appreciate my claim that the MTA is simply an extension of Aperture Science. This year I am giving a half-hour performance on Saturday as opposed to my regular hour. To be honest, with all the side projects happening that weekend I'm just as grateful for the break as I am ready. No time to ramble, no time for rants or digressions, I'm gonna hit the audience hard and celebrate the con and community as loud as I can.

~~~

Thank you Karl for participating in the interview!
If you want to learn more about Karl, check out my 4 part interview starting with part 1
© 2011 Linda Thai

No comments: