Friday, January 14, 2011

In General NYCC/NYAF + the Crowd

Let’s begin with Thursday, October 7, 2010. It was pretty sunny outside, but I still had to wear a jacket. Nearing the Jacob Javits Center, I looked up and spotted a banner on a lamp post. It was for New York Comic Con, and it had Marvel versus Capcom 3 characters on it. I have seen banners hanging off the building and the promotions on the big screen television outside the building. However, I was surprise to see this, because ever since I have been attending the conventions, I have never seen this form of advertising before. Also, the banners were on several lamp posts behind the big screen. It reminded me of how colleges have banners on poles around or near the campus. This is how one knows that one is getting closer to the college or in this case, the convention.

While walking along the building sidewalk, I saw many cars parked at the building parking lot, and people were moving in their equipment to set up. It was pretty insane! I never seen this many people in a situation like this. Everyone was busy and making sure all was ready for the big opening in 24 hours.

So the first day of NYCC and NYAF has arrived. I decided not to take the M34 bus, because it took too long for it to arrive. Also, by the time I walk to the convention, I probably would have beaten the bus to it. However, I still looked back to see if the bus would arrive, because it was a long walk, and I needed to rest my feet before walking long hours at the convention.


In the morning, it was pretty quiet, and I can see why having professional hours is beneficial. Because there is way less people, it is so much easier to talk to people in the booths, find people and one can take as many pictures as one wants! Hence, breathing space. One would have the ability to see more, like spotting a banner that directs attendees to the other half of the convention. The tunnel walking was actually fun, because in previous conventions, I do not remember ever encountering that path. Again, the less people there are, the more one can explore.

Once the public was allowed to enter the convention hall, there was no stopping them. For all three days the crowd was huge! Even though Sunday tends to be the slower day, the size and lack of space felt the same. Saturday tends to have the most people. It became even more difficult to find people, buy things and take pictures! The cell phone problem did not help either…it was hard to call in or out, including text. As a result, everyone had to stay close or hold on to each other, especially children.

Because the convention was physically big, it had more space to occupy with exhibitors. The more booths there were the more to check out. Three days was not enough for this convention nor was the time given for Professional hours, especially for networking. Honestly, I wish the convention had extended Professional Hours to at least one more or half a day, or both. Regardless, I know the convention is here to stay, unless the industry goes down. So, I will make do with what I have and prepare for the worst.

© 2011 Linda Thai

Photography by Linda Thai

For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: