Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Reflections of Yuri!!! On Ice from an Adult Skater - Episode 5

Episode 5 – Face Beet-Red!! It’s the First Competition! The Chugoku, Shikoku, and Kyushu Championship


As a veteran competitor, Katsuki is probably used to the competitive annual cycle. He knows how to get “ready for the 1st competition of the season.” Because he’s been in it for so long, he’ll notice the age gaps and the up and coming skaters, “I’m the oldest by a lot.” For me, I’m in my first cycle. My first competition was in October 2016…and…I did notice all the kids there. However, the competition was divided by category and age groups. So, I didn’t compete against the kids. Regardless, your first competition can be exciting and nerve wrecking.

Do you remember Katsuki saying “But the pressure had me binge eating before the match, and our family dog died...Mentally and physically, I was at my worst...I messed up” in episode 1? I skated the program before so I figured I’ll be fine. During my 1st competition, it didn't cross my mind that I had pre-competition pressure. My coach asked me a question (I don't remember exactly), but I remember responding with “I'm cold.” He chuckled and said, “You're not cold; you're nervous.” I responded, “No, I'm not.”

During Katsuki’s competition, right before it was his turn, Victor embraced him from behind with a hug. My coach, knowing I was nervous, he grabbed both my hands together and said, “just enjoy it.” He never did that before. I blanked out when he grabbed my hands. Lol! He told me to do it like we did in practice. I guess I was in the moment of shock like Katsuki.

While performing his program, you can hear Katsuki’s thoughts throughout, “first up is the spread eagle into the triple axel.” When the music started playing, I was focused on my choreography, but once I got passed the first 15 seconds, I started repeating the routine in my head. Cross over, cross over, preparation, jump! I was worried that I would forget the routine. I kept doing that until I reached my last spin. I tripped on that spin while trying to go into it. Thinking back, I wonder if the pressure got to me to the point where I denied by nervousness and it effected my skating. I guess my coach was right.

Come back the next day for episode 6!

© 2017 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: