Friday, October 27, 2017

Reflections of Yuri!!! On Ice from an Adult Skater - Episode 8

Episode 8 – Yuri vs Yuri The Honor! Rostellecom Cup, Short Program

Katsuki said something to Plisetsky that makes sense for any type of competition, “I know both of us can't win. I'm sure we'll both skate well.” Yes, there's only one first place. The two characters are more friendly rivals than friends. I don't have rivals like that, at least not yet anyway. However, I know eventually I'll be skating against a friend. It might be easier if we were friendly rivals. It's harder when it's against a friend. I'm sure we both want to get on the podium. The question is, who's going to get gold.


Emil Nekolo, who represents Czech in the anime was taunting Michele Crispino of Italy from the boards. He said, “Hey Miki, let's see you best that.” Nekolo was 2nd after his short program, but when Crispino received his scores, Nekolo dropped to 3rd. So yeah, Miki can beat that. For my experience, so far, the Adult Skating community online is pretty supportive. We help each other improve on our elements and provide each other with emotional support. However, offline...what I have read and experienced begs to differ. There will be those with egos and can't see pass that. I'll hear stories about about how this skater thinks they are the best, and after I watch them skate, I'm like “if they think they are so hot, then that makes me Michelle Kwan.” Sense the sarcasm. Besides skaters, there will be on lookers, especially those who look down on Adult Skaters simply because we are adults. Sometimes the denigration comes from those in high authority, like a skating rink director or a coach. It's quite discouraging and unwarranted behavior.

Ok, on with the competition! It was Plitseksky's turn to compete on the ice. He was at the boards talking to himself WHILE his coach and choreographer were talking to him. This is the moment when you realize how nervous he was, “that's weird everything sounds fuzzy, calm down, clam down.” Yeah, I blanked out when my coach was talking to me...DURING MY FIRST COMPETITION! Then in my next competition I forced myself to stay alert, but the nerves will get to you one way or another. It is very hard to stay calm.


During Plitseksky's program, you hear him talking to himself, “crap I'm not feeling Agape. I'm just angry,” then he falls on a triple Axel. Yes, your emotions can get in the way. I remember being angry, because I had to pay twice to use the ice. No one told me about the separate sessions or that I would have scheduled both lessons in ONE session. I tried to do a waltz jump, which is basically the beginner jump, and almost fell on my behind. My jump coach told me to calm down, and yes, calming down helps with skating.

Now, here's the thing you have to wonder, what would happen to Plitseksky if his coach was not there. That's what happened to Katsuki and me. Victor asked his former coach Yakov Feltsman to coach Katsuki during the free skate because he had to return to Japan for an emergency. My coach can't be at competitions (tends to be on the weekend) because he has other obligations. He has a family (kid is not even a toddler yet) and full weekend schedule of students to teach. Plus, if I were to have him attend, I would have to pay him for his time and expenses to be there: gas, tolls, parking, hotel, etc. No, he's not going to make an appearance. You have to pay your coach or his replacement coach to put you on the ice. So, what do I do to prep talk myself? If my friends are there, I talk to them. If no body is there, I play video games. All I need is a distraction from watching the other competitors, and so far it has suffice. I just have to be alert when my name gets announced. XD;

Come back the next day for episode 9!

© 2017 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: