Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Reflections of Yuri!!! On Ice from an Adult Skater - Episode 6

Episode 6 – China's On! The Grand Prix Series Opening Event!! The Cup of China Short Program

With some reflection, I've been to four competitions and performed at an exhibition. I've already developed a pre-competition eating habit. Victor asked Katsuki, “why aren't you eating the shrimp?” and his response was “no raw food for me, not night before competition.” Unlike, Katsuki, I eat the night before. However, I try NOT to eat a full meal before competition. Why? Because 1) I don't want to have to use the bathroom 5 minutes before my turn and 2) I don't want to have a stomach ache during the program. I already have to calm my nerves, I don't want to be concerned with actual bathroom issues.


During the competition, Phichit Chulanant from Thailand was skating to “Shall We Dance.” According to Katsuki, “Phichit has been wanting to skate to this music for a long time.” That got me thinking: is there a piece like that for me? Going through my memory bank, the earliest piece I tried to skate to was “My Immortal,” which was by choice. Unfortunately, we never finished the choreography and I had no desire to skate to that piece. Later on, I had my coach listen to “Fate” from the anime Broken Blade. However, nothing happened beyond listening. Now, I created a playlist with potential skating music, which includes “Fate.” Maybe that will be my piece that I wanted to skate to for a long time.

While Katsuki was watching his competitors, he said, “looks like I'm not the only one going all in this season.” Funny thing is, when I decided to compete this past season, I made a goal for myself. I wanted to compete at all the local competitions available to Adult Skaters. Because there isn't ONE comprehensive website for competitions, I had to research every rink that was in my area. Yes, everyone of them: the ones I've been to, the ones randomly on web search results and the ones listed on the Ice Skating Institute and United States Figure Skating Association websites. I emailed all the rinks asking about competitions. Some sent me a reply, while others were silent. There were four competitions this past season and I want to compete at them all.


When you compete, part of your attire isn't just the outfit you wear, sometimes it is the make up and hairstyle. Along with your choreography and attire, what you do with your face and hair will help the storytelling. Out of all the men in the short program, Georgi Popovich from Russia, wore make up for his program. He had heavy dark color eye shadow and lipstick. When I have to perform or compete, I have to have make up. My coach questioned me the first time, “you're not going to wear make up?” Honestly, I'm fine without it. However, I had to put it on. During one of our Adult Theatre On Ice performances, my coach saw my face and said “more drama.” Apparently, my dark eye shadow and gems weren't enough for him...Oops!

Later in the episode, representing the United States of America, Leo de la Iglesia skated to “Still Alive,” which he self-choreographed. He said, “this is one of my favorite songs. I just have to skate the way the music feels. It's not complicated. If I do it right the audience will fall in love with it too.” I think the man just explained why it's complicated...Depending on the time you are allowed to perform, you have to be able to develop a relationship with the audience in less than 2 minutes. This includes the official judges. They are watching and determine how well you execute everything in the routine. So, yeah, it's not complicated, if you do it right. However, if you do it wrong, you better know how to rebuild and win THAT relationship quick!

Finally, the last thing we all hope for: your favorite skater to come in first. Katsuki is in 1st place after the short program. He has to skate one more time to determine what is his final placement in the standings. When I compete, I only have one 2 minute program to perform in my category. For adult skaters, we only skate once. Basically, we only have one chance to make it to the podium. If you are a competitive skater, who really wants gold, you will be praying that you don't fall and complete all the required elements. Not that complicated right?

Come back the next day for episode 7!

© 2017 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: