Monday, October 30, 2017

Reflections of Yuri!!! On Ice from an Adult Skater - Episode 11

Episode 11 – Gotta Super-Super Charge It!! Grand Prix Final Short Program

If you have been keeping up with my writings, I mentioned earlier that I only skate oncze for a competition and that determines my placement. So, I only have one chance in skating better than anyone. As Katsuki said, “I have to take a risk...I can't afford complacency and finding out how far I can push myself will help motivate me to keep fighting through the final...Since then I focused a lot of practice time on the Quad Flip.” Now, obviously, I don't do ANY quad jumps. Dear lord no. I prefer keeping my knees intact, thank you very much. However, I know how Katsuki feels. Sometimes being flawless isn't enough. I can be competing against one person, but my required elements have to be higher in difficulty and executed much better.


One time during my lesson, while running through my program, I did a Chinese Spiral that lead into the step sequence. I didn't fall, but my coach said to “make it easy.” Basically, he was telling me to not incorporate the spiral, and do something less difficult. Besides that adjustment, I've been trying to do a regular spiral like Michelle Kwan in hopes to impress the judges with my flexibility. Unfortunately, applying that off ice ability isn't consistent.


In one of my earlier post, I mentioned that I have a day job. Yes, I do pay for my own lessons, however, you need to make the time to practice. Sometimes, skating is not enough. Otabek Altin from Kazakhstan said, “I had fewer resources and the other talent was overwhelming. I had to find something that I could do that they could not or else I'll never win.” Here's the thing, a lot of figure skaters take ballet, at least that's what happened during the Michelle Kwan era. The dance is suppose to help with being graceful on the ice. Well, I ain't graceful. I can't use my muscles like a ballerina. It will take YEARS to even come close. However, like Altin said, “I had to find something that I could do.” I am NOT insanely flexible, but I am flexible enough to execute certain moves that may not be commonly performed by other adult skaters. We all jump, we all spin, but all I have is my flexibility.


As Katsuki watched Altin perform, he said, “no hesitation in his skating, determination is very much his trademark.” Oh yeah, you definitely need that mindset if you want to compete. Yes, you can go there for the experience, basically, for fun. However, you're goal is to do well, and it doesn't have to be for a medal. It could simply be completing a clean problem without you falling or having any injury. In the end, you want to be satisfied with your performance and you can't do that without having the determination to succeed.

Come back the next day for episode 12, the finale!

© 2017 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: