Sunday, October 29, 2017

Reflections of Yuri!!! On Ice from an Adult Skater - Episode 10

Episode 10 – Gotta Supercharge It!! Pre-Grand Prix Final Special!



This episode starts out with what appears to be a relaxing set up. You hear Victor say, “sometimes you on vacation time away from your hectic everyday life when you relax and be yourself.” See, I have a normal day job, where I'm at work for 8 hours a day. Personally, I haven't felt the “need a vacation” yet. HOWEVER, to my surprise, I felt like that with skating! I don't have a schedule like the senior level competitors on TV, but there was a time where I told my coach that I didn't feel like taking a lesson. It was in February 2017 and within one week I had TWO events. One was a competition and the other an exhibition. I only agreed to the exhibition because I thought I DIDN'T have competition that week. Turns out, the rink hosting the event gave me permission to compete without a coach. Well, I guess I had to perform twice that week, which resulted in me being exhausted. I was like coach...I don't want to see you...no skating...and that mentality lasted for TWO weeks. Yes, no skating for those weeks, not even leisure.

Ok after my vacation from skating, I had to get back into the flow of practice, including working out at home. Victor said, “After the Rostelecom Cup, Yuri spent the remaining days until the final getting in as much practice time as he could.” Again, not like the skaters on TV, but I do have to practice. I have my regular weekly lesson and random practice sessions during the week. This depends on the rink's freestyle schedule and if I feel like getting up when it's raining. :D I ain't going out in snow. However, the week before competition, I try to get in one extra lesson, because it helps me feel slightly more confident for the event.


Even though I may feel confident, the program has to be competitive enough to stand against other skaters' programs. Victor said, “Yuri's planned an aggressive jump composition...even if he sticks with his old jumps JJ has a higher based score.” JJ is in reference to Jean-Jacques Leroy, who represents Canada. Now in the competitions I've been doing, I don't see the scores like the ones you see on the televised competitions. It's more like the judges determine what overall placement you should be in: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. When my coach and I were working on my program, we chose to include the most difficult jump competition in my level and try to up the game on the spin positions. It is supposed to help increase my chances on the podium, but of course...what matters is what happens that day.

After a competition, there's an after party or social gathering. “The banquet is a party held every season after the competition is over. It's a time for skaters to relax and socialize,” said Victor. Now, I tend to LEAVE after I finish doing whatever I have to do at a competition. The competitions I've been to don't have social gatherings. However, a couple of the skating shows that I've been part of had an after party at the rink, but I tend to not partake. After a performance it's tiring and you don't feel like interacting with anyone...I think if I had a figure skating career like the senior level competitors, I'll probably be sleeping at the hotel or exploring the neighborhood on my own. :P

Come back the next day for episode 11!

© 2017 Linda Thai
Photography by Linda Thai
For more pictures, check out the Something Deeper: Anime, Manga and Comics Page on Facebook

No comments: